It is a fact, that any furniture that gets used most often tends to sustain more damage than others which in this case is a recliner. We have to say, recliners have to be one of the best inventions. They are comfortable and relieve muscle stress within a very short period of time.
If you do end up breaking your recliner again and again then it means you’re using it a lot. This also indicates that your recliner is very comfortable which is why it keeps on breaking.
Okay! Let’s move on, we are not really talking about breaking your recliner over here. In fact, we are just talking about a single component of it such as the d-ring handle. Truth be told, recliner handles are very fragile and have a habit of breaking over and over again.
You really don’t need to get professional assistance for this minor breakage. D-ring handles are pretty simple and easy to attach. You don’t really need a lot of DIY information to fix it. In this article, we are going to give you all the information you need to fix the D-ring handle of your recliner without paying any additional cost except for the new handle of course.
Types of recliner handles
Before we move on to the how-to part of the article, let’s talk about the three types of recliner handles that are out there I.e. D-ring, flapper and lever. While all of them possess a different sort of mechanism. They are designed to achieve the same goal which is to break open your recliner.
The most common type of handle is obviously the lever handle. It can either made out of plastic, metal, or even wood. You will have to pull the lever back to open the recliner. Most recliners out there come with lever handles and we found them to be the most intuitive.
The second most common type of recliner handle is the D-ring handle. If you have ever used a lawnmower or filled gas on your own at a gas station, then you must be accustomed to this type of handle. It comes in a D-shape and is attached to a cable. All you have to do is pull on it and the chair will recline.
The last type of handle is the flapper handle. They are quite recessed and inserted inside the chair so people can’t really see it. You will have to take out the flap and pull it to break apart the recliner. It works in the same way that a car’s gas tank door does. Except for the fact that in this case, it will open up your recliner.
How to replace the D-ring recliner handle?
We have curated a step-by-step guide to help you fix the D-ring handle in the most efficient way,
- You will need a set of pliers and a screwdriver to start the replacement process.
- Now remove all the screws that are used to keep the handle in its place. Once you unscrew it, the handle will come off.
- Push the recliner back so you can have access to the internal mechanism.
- The cable of the handle is connected in two spots. You will have to examine it and once you have it removed, the recliner cable will automatically lose tension.
- Make use of the pliers and remove the mechanism release clip.
- You can insert the new cable by reversing the process you just did to remove the previous cables.
- As far as the mechanism clip is concerned, place it over the release trigger and screw it tightly.
- Don’t forget to put the S-clip back into where it was inserted.
- Bring your recliner to its original position.
- Place the handle on its previous spot. Make sure you don’t end up tearing the fabric.
- You can use the previous screws to hold it into its place or get new ones as per your convenience.
- We suggest that you test the handle a few times and make sure it’s fixed in the right spot before you put all your tools back in the box.
Also read a detailed answer to the most asked question: How To Fix A Recliner Footrest?
Where to buy a D-ring pull handle for your recliner?
The last thing would be to find the replacement parts for your recliner. If you have acquired a custom built recliner, then you’re probably not going to find the replacement part in the market. We suggest that you get in touch with your manufacturer for this purpose. They will be able to advise you accordingly.
As far as regular recliners go, their parts are pretty standardized and available widely. You can look into the local furniture store for replacement parts. You can also get in touch with the original manufacturer of your recliner. They may have spare parts available and might be willing to ship it for you.
Also, the entire search for the d-ring pull handle is going to leave you frustrated. We also advise you to get in touch with online retailers. There are a number of people available online who can have the handle resourced to you. Not to mention, Amazon always comes to the rescue in this sort of scenario so don’t forget to check that out.
Even if you don’t get the exact handle, you can always purchase something similar.
You may also be interested to read about: How Does a Power Recliner Work
As you can see, fixing a d-ring recliner handle isn’t that big of a deal. With the right tools at your disposal, you will be able to have it fixed within 10-minutes max. The only time taking process is when you have to search for the kind of handle you’re looking to replace your older handle with.
Hopefully, this article has provided you all the information you were looking for. If there is anything else you’d like to ask, do leave us with your feedback in the comments below.