We found nothing as relaxing as laying back in our recliner after an entire day of hard work and stress. But when the recliner footrest starts sagging and doesn’t work as efficiently as it used to in the beginning, things begin to feel a little off.
A recliner is a multipurpose chair that bring you relief, comfort and convenience all at the same time. But maintaining a recliner and making sure all its components keep working in an efficient way is a task of its own.
let’s Dig Deep How To Fix A Recliner Footrest?
Usually, the first part that starts to malfunction with regards to a recliner is its footrest. A recliner footrest tends to provide you with most comfort of all which is why it can be a little misused at times. Any recliner will begin to give you a headache when it starts to malfunction. A footrest that isn’t in a working order is a moment of concern for you and you need to fix it right away.
A few causes of a malfunctioning recliner footrest
Before we attempt to fix your recliner, you first need to know that why the footrest has begun malfunctioning in the first place. The first step to solving a problem is always identifying it. We are mentioning a few reasons of faulty recliner footrests. You will have to figure out which one of these reasons is causing your device to misbehave,
- Rusty mechanism
Having a rusty mechanism can also cause the footrest to malfunction. This is mainly due to the weather. If the residential area you live is always humid, then it will have adverse effects on your furniture. You need to lubricate the internal mechanism of the recliner regularly as part of the maintenance regime.
If you don’t do it, the mechanism will cripple overtime hence the faulty footrest.
- Old age
One common cause of a faulty recliner is old age. Have you been using the recliner for past many years? Let’s say 6-year or so? If that is the case, then it makes sense.
Over the years of frequent usage, the footrest springs and screws could become loose. You will have to check around for this and replace the springs or the screws accordingly.
- Breaking down
One of the prevention techniques of enhancing recliner’s life is to make sure you never push it down. this could break your footrest. We know that people don’t slam the footrests down intentionally but this habit can potentially cause you a lot of havoc.
By pushing or slamming down the footrest, it will remain in the position you last used it in so you need to be careful while you close down the recliner. Don’t be quick in pulling the footrest up and closing it. Let it consume its due time and the recliner will automatically close itself off.
Here are a few processes that will help you fix the footrest of your recliner
Coming back to our original question, how should you fix a recliner footrest. We are mentioning three different methods of how you can fix the footrest of your recliner. You can opt for the one that deems most appropriate to you,
Read more About Best Alternative Stressless Recliner
- Fixing a loose recliner footrest spring
It’s not impossible for a footrest spring to become loose overtime. It’s one of the most common reasons why the footrest starts malfunctioning. But lucky for us, it can be easily fixed by following a few simple steps,
- Turn over your recliner
- Now you will be able to locate the spring that connects the recliner to the footrest
- You will have to remove all the screws with the help of screwdriver that keep the spring attached to the footrest and attach a new spring in its place.
- Once the spring has been attached, reinstall all the parts and the footrest will start functioning like before.
This is how you can replace the older spring with a new one. It’s a very easy process and can be done within 15-minutes.
- Fixing a sagging recliner footrest
Another common problem that can occur is there could be difficulty for the footrest to stay in an upright position. The main problem can be with the adjustment mechanism and here is how you can fix it,
- Turn the recliner over and look for the adjusting mechanism.
- Find the ratchet that keeps the footrest locked in its place.
- You will have to access ratchet by removing any screws that may come into your way. But make sure you remember which screw goes where so you can reverse the entire process later.
- Once you have the ratchet, remove the bar that is linked to it.
- You will have to either replace the bar or fix it and then reattach it to the ratchet before putting everything back together.
By doing this process, your recliner will be able to hold its position again.
- Fixing a recliner footrest that won’t close
This last step-by-step guide will help you about how to fix a recliner footrest that won’t stay down or close completely.
- Turn over the recliner and look for the wooden chassis.
- Once you have unscrewed the wooden chassis, you will have access to all the internal joints. Make sure you have covered your recliner with rags before the process because this could get messy.
- Now, lubricate each joint and then reassemble the recliner.
A recliner footrest usually doesn’t close when it’s mechanism has become too rigid. This can happen overtime and with a little bit of lubrication the problem can be easily fixed.
So, this is how you can fix a recliner footrest. If your recliner has started making a lot of fuss lately, there is nothing to be worried about. Just follow the steps as mentioned and you will be able to fix it without any professional assistance.
However, in case the problem persists, don’t forget to get in touch with your manufacturer for professional assistance.