Dismantling or disassembling recliners or even furniture for that matter can be done for various reasons. Sometimes when you’re moving to a new place, you have to disassemble your recliner while other times you just gotta take it apart for maintenance purposes.
Doesn’t matter how good of a recliner you have, sometimes you just have to take it apart to fix an error and for this purpose, you have to have a recliner that can be disassembled and then reassembled.
Wondering if all recliners come apart. Well, that can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. There are a lot of details where taking apart recliners is concerned and in this article, we are talking about it all.
If you’re interested in buying a recliner that can come off, then we suggest you check out the seams at the back of a reclining sofa. Some manufacturers have integrated these seams with handles or livers that can help you take the sofa apart conveniently. However, in some sofas, you will only be able to remove the back of the recliner and not the entire thing.
Do all recliners come apart with removable backs?
Most of the recliners do come with removable backs. It makes it very easy for the user to disassemble the entire furniture and move it to a new place or apartment. Most of the methods of disassembling a recliner are pretty much the same. You will only find differences with regards to how much you can take the whole thing apart.
Read more About Best Alternative Stressless Recliner
Most of the modern recliners you see so commonly in the market use the same design and pattern. The only difference you will find is the sort of screws that are used or how the internal mechanism works. But you should know that if you even take apart one single recliner all on your own, you will be able to master the skill of disassembling them all.
A few tips before you take apart your recliner!
Don’t go in blind and start disassembling your recliner at the first thought. Here are a few tips that can help you out so you must use the following instructions for your own benefit,
- If your reclining sofa is a power recliner, then don’t forget to unplug the thing before you start taking it apart. Most of the experts suggest that you should tip the backrest and pull out the footrest for safety concerns. It is a much more efficient way to disassemble your recliner.
- Once you have your recliner in full view, take pictures for future reference. This way, you will always remember how exactly your recliner looks and which screws go where so you don’t end up messing the entire thing.
- Now you will have to locate all the locking mechanisms of the recliner you want to take apart. Most recliners have their locking mechanisms at the back of the safe for safety reasons. You will either find the release levers at the back or seat locks underneath the sofa that will need releasing.
- In case your recliner is a fabric-covered chair then you will find a fastener with a loop at the backside of the chair. All you have to do is look for the edge of the flap and pull it. The internal mechanism of the recliner will easily come out and you can have it fixed as you require.
- If the recliner is still attached, then we suggest you place it on its back carefully otherwise you can just place it however you like. When pushing the recliner backward, make sure you don’t end up damaging your floors or the recliner itself. Also, be careful with your hands and keep a close watch on what you’re working on.
- The best way to disassemble a recliner is to place all the parts on the bags they come in. All these components are labeled when they arrive in a package. Having them in the same inserts will help you be on top of your game.
Also read a detailed answer to the most asked question: How To Replace the D-ring Recliner Handle?
How to take apart a recliner?
Wondering how you can take apart a recliner? Here is how you do it.
- The first thing you will have to take care of is the seat of course. Locate the levers and pull them together. Your seat will instantly come off.
- Once the seat has been released, you can move on to the armrests. They have their own locking levers that you will have to pull on.
- Now flip the chair over so you can have better access to the other parts of the recliner. For footrest, you will need a screwdriver to unscrew and once that’s done, you can pull it out.
- What’s left is the frame that you will have to unscrew from the internal mechanism.
- In case you have a power recliner, you will have to make some extra effort and detach the motor system from the recliner. That will be the last part of the recliner that needs to be taken off.
Don’t forget to sort out all the hardware carefully so you don’t end up forgetting which part goes where.
So, this is everything we could gather on if all the recliners can be taken apart or not. As you have read, most recliners can be taken apart regardless of the fact how difficult it may be to put them back together again.
It is completely up to you if you wanna break open your recliner or not. But it can be done if that is what you needed an answer for. We reckon we have answered your desired question with every detail we could find.
If there is more that you’d like to know, do leave us with all your queries in the comments section below. We would love to answer anything you wanna know.